Intrometaspection
So, how is KDE4 going to understand its own API? It's now May of '06, and the most promising projects I was keeping an eye on haven't been publishing much.
aseigo leaked word of Trolltech working on Java bindings for Qt — based off the KDevelop parser, IIRC. It was supposed to be available in Q1 '06, but nary a whisper of it now. It wasn't ever really official, but I was looking forward to everyone having something standard to steal base KDE bindings on. I hope it's not dead (or castrated like QSA).
The presumed standard language binding. Is it intended to be a full Qt binding? Or something more practical, for use in KDE applets and such? I have no clue what state it's in right now. I'll cross my fingers.
It is really hard to get a detailed API listing for Qt (let alone KDE) to use in a program. This has serious consequences for KDE, the best known of which is difficulty with language bindings. The lack of an API listing leads to half-measures and ugly workarounds. Richard is successful with his cluster of language bindings because he knows how to tickle the data out of Kalyptus. I just wish it was easier.
Java Bindings
aseigo leaked word of Trolltech working on Java bindings for Qt — based off the KDevelop parser, IIRC. It was supposed to be available in Q1 '06, but nary a whisper of it now. It wasn't ever really official, but I was looking forward to everyone having something standard to steal base KDE bindings on. I hope it's not dead (or castrated like QSA).
KJSEmbed
The presumed standard language binding. Is it intended to be a full Qt binding? Or something more practical, for use in KDE applets and such? I have no clue what state it's in right now. I'll cross my fingers.
The Introspection Problem
It is really hard to get a detailed API listing for Qt (let alone KDE) to use in a program. This has serious consequences for KDE, the best known of which is difficulty with language bindings. The lack of an API listing leads to half-measures and ugly workarounds. Richard is successful with his cluster of language bindings because he knows how to tickle the data out of Kalyptus. I just wish it was easier.

2 Comments:
How has QSA been castrated? I hadn't heard about that :o I was intending on using QSA in a couple projects.
You shouldn't give my hyperbole too much weight. I'm complaining about the impracticality of creating new widgets in QSA, due to lack of virtual function overrides (as well as missing lots of nifty functions from Qt).
But, for using existing widgets with good public APIs, it's great.
Post a Comment
<< Home